★ IRISH SUMMER COURSES (Venue: U.C.D.)
- Gaelcholáiste Cholumba provides courses in Irish for students at the following levels: Ages (12-15) and (15-17) and (Sixth class students starting in First Year in September).
- Gaelcholáiste Cholumba adopts a strict policy with regard to all it’s students speaking “as Gaeilge”.
- Our Irish summer courses provide daily classes in Oral work.
- Our Irish courses for teenagers place significant emphasis on speaking the language everyday.
- We incorporate Oral course material from the Junior Certificate Syllabus and the Leaving Certificate Syllabus.
- Our daily Oral Irish classes are very dynamic and interactive.
- In addition we also provide 1:1 Oral Irish sessions with a designated Irish teacher on a daily basis.
- Our emphasis on the spoken word continues into the afternoon when students participate in a wide variety of afternoon activities while continuing to speak “as Gaeilge” in a more informal setting .
- We provide prizes each day to students who have made every effort to improve their Oral Irish skills
- Many students find this part of the course difficult.•We work very closely with each student to enable him/her to improve their competency in Aural work. (Teacher Student ratio 1:10)
- We incorporate Aural course material from the Junior Certificate Syllabus and the Leaving Certificate Syllabus.
- Finally this course teaches students “the golden rules” of Irish grammar.
- All students on our Irish courses improve their written work significantly.
- Students are provided with handouts and the written work they cover is based on past examination papers.
- We emphaize Grammar, Structuring Sentences, Writing Letters, Post-cards, Writing Stories, Scripts and Essays.
- We incorporate Written course material from the Junior Certificate Syllabus and the Leaving Certificate Syllabus.
AFTERNOON ACTIVITIES “as Gaeilge”
- Gaelcholáiste Cholumba provides a wide variety of afternoon activities to suit all tastes.
- The afternoon programme includes Swimming, Soccer, Badminton, Basketball, Volleyball, Rounders, (golf putting), Tennis, Drama, Animation, Irish dancing and singing.
- Key Learning Outcomes:
▶ Proficiency in speaking Gaeilge in everyday situations
▶ Competency in Aural work and
▶ Enhanced Writing Skills.